Saturday, June 4, 2011

7+ Miles, 2 Dead Camera Batteries, 1 Almost-Dead Cell Phone and 200+ Pictures Later...

I'm exhausted!

It was a great day on Governors Island! The weather was a little overcast, but otherwise great. If you click on the album link below, you can view the rest of the pictures in my online photo album. If you select the "view full screen" option, you can watch it as a slideshow. As you can see from the pictures, there was a lot going on today, including the Big Apple Circus Family Fun Day - which included some trapeze work (not me, although I was sorely tempted).

Governors Island 2011 - click to view online album

One of the really cool things I did on the island today was take a tour of New York Harbor School. I remember when the building that now houses it was vacant and being restored, so seeing it transformed into a specialized public high school was pretty amazing.

New York Harbor School from Governors Island 2011

There are more pictures of the interior of the school in the album, including the marine lab. The school is also involved in the attempts to revitalize the oyster population in the Hudson. It's really very impressive.

I also had some time to stop and smell the roses, and indulge myself in a bit of floral photography, too! Click the images below to view larger versions.

From Governors Island 2011

From Governors Island 2011

It was a fantastic day on the island all-around, and I managed to log 7.25 miles by the time I got home! Governors Island is a great place to get a walk or a run in! For starters, if you walk/run around the perimeter of the island, it's flat! One of these days, I'm going to bring my inline skates and roll around the island. There are bikes for rent as well, including tandem bikes and 2-6 person surrey bikes. I might try a bike rental one of these days. At least I won't have to worry about looking any more spastic than some of the other people I've seen riding bikes on the island!

No comments:

Post a Comment