Sunday, January 29, 2012

Now is the Time on Sprockets When We Whine

I think we may all hit this point at some time during our fundraising and training efforts. I woke up yesterday having some serious doubts about this whole NJ Half Marathon thing. My fundraising's not going as well as planned, I'm worried about the finishing time limit for the race, and lately, I'm just not that into pushing it for some reason.

My final fundraising amount of $2,150.00 isn't due until mid-April. BUT... I need to commit to raising the full amount by mid-February. Once I re-commit, what a lot of people don't realize is that it's then on my head to either raise $2,150.00 in donations, or have any shortfall come out of my pocket. I think that's the part that I'm really not sure about at this point. I really can't take on another financial obligation, even a potential one.

According to the official info, there's also a strict 3:15 (that's 3 hours and 15 minutes for you non-runners) time limit on the half, otherwise you do not qualify as a finisher and do not get a medal. My current finishing time on a half is 3:31.

If I really run/walk the whole thing, the 3:15 shouldn't be a problem, but I'm just in a funky "I'm sick of asking people for money and getting up and out of the house before 7:30 on a Saturday morning in the cold" kind of a place.

Feelin' Groovy


I did manage to get off the pity pot long enough to get to Astoria Park for our 8 mile Queensboro Bridge Run/Walk/Whatever, which was followed by a group brunch at Sparrow Tavern. Walking across the bridge and back with my mentor, Susan, and team mate Nikki helped put things into a better perpective, but the jury's still out for me on this one.

Yesterday was definitely one of those "dark days of training". I'm seriously hoping it will pass. Now, if this had been Disney, it might've been a whole 'nother story.






No comments:

Post a Comment