Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What Could be a Better Race for a Dance Walker...

than the Allstate 13.1 Disco Half Marathon practically right in my own back yard???



Yup, that's right. I've signed up for another 13.1 mile ordeal. One of these days, I may learn my lesson.

Actually, the timing on this is perfect. It comes at a time when I'm really working on getting back on track Weight Watchers-wise, and making a commitment to getting back to walking and going to the gym more regularly. Signing up for the Disco Half at the end of March will help by giving me a purpose and a definite goal to work towards. Since this will be my first half marathon since the Super Hero Half last May, my goals for this race are simple:
  • Finish within the 3:30 time limit and get the medal
  • Have FUN with it
  • Ideally, run/walk using a 1 minute run/2 minute walk interval throughout the entire 13.1 miles
  • Have FUN with it
  • Pay more attention to strength training this time around
  • Did I mention "Have FUN with it"???
  • Get the medal :-)
I have some very definite advantages going into this. First of all, I'm very familiar with Flushing Meadows/Corona Park, site of the 1964/1965 World's Fair, as you can see from this picture:

(That's me and my twin sister in the stroller, getting ready to become dinosaur dinner.)

I live within five miles of the park, and I can get in some training miles on the actual race course on the weekends. I've done a few other races in the park, so I have a pretty good idea of what it's like to run/walk it. It's also one of the flattest race courses I've raced on. There's basically one hill, and that's a ramp to an overpass. I've already done a third of the race course back in November, when I did the FDNY Turkey Trot, and that was probably the worst third of it. So, there's no really good reason why I can't do this one.

It sure seems like a good idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment