Friday, August 30, 2013

Making Strides of Central Park, NYC


Why I am Making Strides
Last year, I had a bit of a scare. I went for a mammogram, and got a call from my doctor that my results were abnormal, and that a second mammogram was needed. I scheduled my appointment, and began the nerve-wracking experience of worrying and waiting. The day of the second mammogram came, and after the films were taken, I was led into the ultrasound room for addtional imaging. To say I was scared would have been an understatement. Fortunately, the radiologist was able to determine that the nodule was not cancerous. However, it was deep, and hard to determine what it was. A biopsy followed. The results came in - it was a fibroid. I heaved a huge sigh of relief. My lump was not cancerous.
I was lucky. Many women are not. I don't know how I would've handled it had my lump turned out to be breast cancer. This is why I am Making Strides. I know I will make a difference in the fight to end breast cancer. I know that by raising funds and walking in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event, I will help save lives from breast cancer. 
I believe that one day breast cancer will never steal another year from anyone's life. Making Strides is not only my opportunity to join my community to fight back against breast cancer, but it is also a way to inspire hope by raising funds and awareness to help those facing the disease. That's why I'm walking.

Who I am Making Strides For
My reason for walking in the Making Strides event is personal, just like every other walker's story. We all walk because we've been affected by breast cancer in some way, and because the Making Strides event gives us the power to make a difference and fight back. This is my opportunity to honor breast cancer survivors, remember people we have lost, and help raise funds for groundbreaking research, information and services for people fighting breast cancer, and mammograms for women who need them.

Why I Support the American Cancer Society
Every day, the American Cancer Society helps people take steps to reduce their risk of breast cancer or find it early when it is easiest to treat. Today 1 of every 2 women newly diagnosed with breast cancer reaches out to them for help and support. They provide free information and services when and where women need it throughout their journey to get well. They are investing in groundbreaking research to find, prevent, treat, and cure breast cancer, and are working to ensure access to mammograms for women who need them. 
I have signed up to walk and fundraise with Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. I hope you will consider joining my team and/or making a donation in support of my efforts
Together, we can make strides to end breast cancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment